The first mentions of the areas of the Zawadzkie Municipality date back to 14th century.
They concern existing in this area forges: in village Żędowice and the parish in Kielcza. In 1752, Count Norbert Colonna ran the earliest form of primitive furnaces – bloomery. 25 years later, the wooden church in Kielcza was destroyed and then a stone church was built in its place.
In 1790 a colony of coalmen was created here. It was called Filipolis (thanks to the name of Count Filip Colonna). At the beginning of the 19th century was created colony – Świerkle, and in 1824 another one – the Bemowskie colony for workers of the steel mill in Żędowice. After the construction of the Zawadzki Factory in 1836 (from the name of the first general director Franciszek von Zawadzky), a new workers’ colony called Zawadzkie was created (the former name was Moczydoły, due to the multitude of swamps and ponds around the irregularly flowing Mała Panew River). It was a district of houses built north-east of the bloomeries.
So, more than 160 years ago, the steel mill became the beginning of the future industrial town.
In 1880, Stare Zawadzkie was established – nowadays the streets of Andrzej, Priest Wajda and Stawowa and in 1888 – a Jewish workshop, also known as Palestine (it was established by a rich Jew from Wrocław, Izrael Pinczower, hence the name). The connection of the surrounding settlements into an independent commune under the name of Zawadzkie took place under the Prussian Decree of 31st May 1897. At that time it already had a number of typically urban facilities: schools, a hospital, a pharmacy, a railway station and two Catholic and Protestant churches.
During World War I, a central boiler house with a chimney 96 meters high was built at the steelworks, which is the most visible metallurgical accent in the town’s landscape.
In the interwar period, new residential complexes were created. They are buildings of today’s Municipal Office in Zawadzkie, railway station and current school in Zawadzkie. In the 1950s and 1960s, residential complexes were erected at today’s Powstańców Śląskich and Nowe Osiedle streets, and in the seventies – a sports hall and a nursery. In 1954, Zawadzkie received the status of a housing estate.
The turning point for the development of the entire commune was 1961-1965, when a rolling mill and steel pipe drawing plant were built in the steelworks. Almost from all over Poland people came here for work. Steelworks developed and expanded, and the town as well, which ceased to be just a workers’ settlement.
The way from the workers’ colony to the town was closed on July 7th, 1962 when Zawadzkie obtained town rights at the request of local councilors.